Quick update and recipie!
The end of my 30 day sugar detox has come at last. The difficulty of the first 3 weeks makes today unexpected. It is no longer a painful mental struggle, it’s just kind of what I do.
The point of this detox had started with an attempt to break an addiction. I had lived my life giving into mostly every sugar craving whim or desire. I was very good at justifying recreational ice cream pint binges, candy, or stopping in the bakery throughout my work day for cookies. It was a part of my life.
I was fed up with the lack of self-control. I was fed up with brining nutritious lunches to work that never got eaten for lunch, yet leaving work with a full belly of cookies and snacks. As stated in previous blog posts, I was not the type of person to have one cookie. I would eat until there were no more cookies.
During this detox I thought of giving up several times, but did not. There was however, one time that without thinking I ate a slice of brioche bread. Forgetting the detox and forgetting that a major ingredient in brioche, is sugar.
So here I am, adjusted and adapted to life without added sugar. I am pleased with the results; weight loss, clearer skin and more energy. My running life has also directly benefitted as a result. I’m sure there is science behind it, I’ll have to research at another time-but I just run better when my body’s not bogged down digesting all that sugar I guess.
I think going forward I will continue to limit my sugar intake to special reasons and occasions.
So all in all the sugar detox was a success – now I will treat myself and yourself to a recipie for cookies – minimally sweetened with coconut sugar. Enjoy folks, and always remember that you are braver and stronger than you realize. You contain the ability to change your life – get up get out and do something good for yourself
- ½ cup coconut oil ( or butter-I used butter, hence the “almost” paleo)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cups (9 oz.) almond flour
- 1 cup (6 oz.) chopped dark chocolate
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (can prepare up to 48 hours ahead of time).
- After refrigerating, use a cookie scoop to form cookies and press down slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.