Jackfruit; a nutrient dense miracle crop, capable of saving the world from starvation?
* READ *
Since recently adopting a mostly whole food, mostly plant based diet. I’ve been investing time in studying and practicing what I once thought of as alternative cooking techniques. This happens to be one of my most recent favorites. I hope you have a chance to try Jack Fruit and I hope you have a chance to prepare this recipe. Your taste buds deserve it!
P.S You can use canned jackfruit, but use the one that is canned in water. Don’t use the one in syrup (its very sweet). I chose Fresh Jackfruit because I had access to it.
1/2 of a LG onion
4/5 Cups Cleaned Fresh Jack Fruit (I found it at Whole Foods)
2 TSP Turmeric
2 TSP Paprika
2 TSP Cayenne
2 TSP salt
1 TBSP Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Bottle BBQ Sauce (What I Used)
1.5 Quarts of Vegetable Stock
3 cloves garlic
PREHEAT oven to 400
- Clean the jack fruit and remove seeds
- Dice and sweat onion until translucent
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes
- Add jackfruit and all the seasonings
- Cook for 7 minutes on low heat
- Cover in Vegetable Stock
- Cook, covered for 45 minutes on medium low heat
- Once moisture has dissipated, smash down the jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork
- Pour jackfruit on to sheet tray and cook in over for 20 minutes
- Pour BBQ sauce on to jackfruit and mix with rubber spatula
- Cook for another 15minutes
- Remove from oven and cool. I made a sandwich of sourdough bread, avocado and BBQ Jackfruit. You can really do anything (over pasta, in an omelette, on a salad, in your quinoa) with this marvelous food!